Members of the St. James Fire Department demonstrate what not to do when dealing with a kitchen grease fire. From a safe distance the fireman dumped a cup of water on a small grease fire and the fire exploded. So, don’t try to put out a grease fire with water. If you experience a grease fire use a fire extinguisher or if you don’t have one use a cookie sheet or a pie plate to cover the fire. Nearly half the house fires in Minnesota last year were kitchen fires. This demonstration was part of the St. James Fire Department open house that was held on Sunday.