I grew up next to a pretty big lake in Minnewaska, which meant that I spent a lot of time in the sun as a kid.
I never really gave much thought to protecting my skin until my brother, sister-in-law and girlfriend all went into healthcare for careers.
It was at that time that every moment I spent in the sun I was lectured about the importance of wearing sunscreen and keeping your skin protected, and although I didn’t enjoy their methods, they were correct about the dangers of the sun.
One bad burn can lead to skin cancer. That means one mistake of not wearing enough UV protection can lead to a life-threatening illness.
I am among very few of my friends who take this advice to heart – that sunscreen is important to wear when you are outside every time and isn’t just for the pasty white friends of the group. So I thought I’d make a list of why wearing sunscreen is awesome:
1) It is a great way to not get cancer.
2) Sunscreen has a fresh smell.
3) Applying sunscreen is a great excuse to get someone to rub your back.
4) Looking like a lobster isn’t in style this summer.
5) Preventing sun-damage when you’re younger is the number one way to prevent looking like your skin is made of leather when you’re older.
Enjoy more summers by wearing sunscreen every time you are outside this summer.