A Red Wing woman faces child endangerment and animal cruelty charges after authorities took seven dogs and 19 cats from her home this spring.
Dianna Fay Lyng, 41, was booked into the Goodhue County Adult Detention Center on June 25. She was formally charged with one count of child endangerment and two counts of overwork/mistreat animals -- as well as animal waste and licensing violations -- in a court complaint filed April 30.
According to the complaint, a friend of Lyng’s daughter reported poor living conditions in Lyng’s home March 3. Lyng would not let the responding officer in the home, but told him six dogs and seven cats -- as well as her 12-, 17- and 18-year-old children -- were living in the house, the complaint states.
A search warrant was executed March 27. Police detectives and representatives from the Goodhue County Humane Society entered the home and found several piles of animal feces behind furniture, on countertops and throughout the home.
Animal control officers noted that there were several empty food dishes and only small amounts of water for the animals. They also found three litter boxes, all filled with feces.
Six full-grown dogs, one puppy, five cats and 14 kittens were taken to the Goodhue County Humane Society. The dogs were either undernourished or overweight, had overgrown nails, loose teeth and matted hair. Several cats had head injuries caused by head shaking and scratching due to severe ear mites. Some kittens had broken tails caused by trauma or malnourishment.
Lyng told officers that people keep dropping animals off at the home and that family members couldn’t take them to the humane society because they can’t afford the $75 surrender fee, the complaint says. She said she and her husband, Robert Lyng, have been trying to find other homes for the animals using newspaper ads. Lyng also stated in the complaint that she must get rid of the animals because she has pancreatitis and that she was about to get a feeding tube put in.
In addition to the animal problems, authorities said there was no insulation or sheetrock in an upstairs bedroom, wiring in the living room ceiling was exposed and they could see through the upstairs floor. They found that several television tubes, which could contain lead and other hazardous chemicals, had been improperly dumped in the back yard, the complaint states.
A representative from Goodhue County Public Health stated that he was concerned for the children’s welfare due to “ongoing lead exposure that may be in the home.”
Lyng is scheduled to make her first court appearance Sept. 19.