St. James City Council appoints Hannah Rushing to open council seat
At Tuesday's St. James City Council meeting, the council unanimously approved the appointment of Hannah Rushing to the council following the departure of Josh Hasemen's position in Ward 2.
Rushing was the only applicant for the open spot, and her appointment prevents a special election for the position.
"I want to see our community continue to thrive and succeed," said Rushing. "I want to see families move here, I want to see people take a job here, and decide to live here and not live somewhere else. Those are just the things that I see that I would like to improve."
"We're really excited about the thought of having someone young join us," said councilmember Kathleen Hanson. "It's amazing because I look at you as a step in the right direction for the possibility that other people will look and say 'Hannah did, so I can step in also,' which is wonderful because fresh thoughts in our community and a young face is really going to make a nice difference.”
Rushing currently works for Mayo Clinic, and recently took a job in Mankato with the clinic. Rushing is a lifelong resident of St. James.
The council will formally approve a resolution at the beginning of the next city council meeting, scheduled for Feb. 2.
- Approve resolution- transfer bond payments as budgeted for 2020
- Approve resolution- transfer funds as budgeted for 2020
- Approve resolution- surplus property and ordering sale- line locator and generator for sale on Minnesota Rural Water website
- Approve resolution- supporting local road improvement for 7th St., Ring Rd., and 13th Ave. near hospital
- Approve request to clean water tower
- Approve new hire- Bradley Nestegard to St. James Police Department
- Approve variance request- 420 Weston Ave N.
- Approve 2nd draft ordinance regulating brewer taprooms, small brewer off-sale, and brew-pub off-sale licensing